HGV DRIVERS

toonarmy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 21 you can do your HGV2 licence which will let you drive anythign rigid. You can also do your HGV1 licence at the age of 21, but you need HGV2 first.

Apparently now though you can do a fast track HGV1 course, but not sure if you can do it at 21...........

Think it costs about £600 to do the HGV2 (not sure because my company paid for mine) and from what a friend has said who's doing the fast track HGV1 its about a grand for that!

You can earn really good wedge driving. I'm on £420 a week which is crap money for driving HGV2's.

At 21 you can do your HGV2 licence which will let you drive anythign rigid. You can also do your HGV1 licence at the age of 21, but you need HGV2 first.

Apparently now though you can do a fast track HGV1 course, but not sure if you can do it at 21...........

Think it costs about £600 to do the HGV2 (not sure because my company paid for mine) and from what a friend has said who's doing the fast track HGV1 its about a grand for that!

You can earn really good wedge driving. I'm on £420 a week which is crap money for driving HGV2's.

pretty much summed it up :thumb:

£420 a week aint that bad round here :) for class2. Get ya Class 1 mate, I average between £600 and £750 a week :) and supermarket work is pi$$ easy :)

Dunno how old you are as to what catagory's you already have on your licence but if you can't drive a 7.5 tonner on it you may need to do that 1st before going on for the rest of the licences.

Make sure you've got a few weeks spare and some agency work lined up doing whatever licence you have or have just passed each time. When i quit van driving i went on agency as 7.5 tonne driver and drivers mate. then took a 5 day course for the 17 tonne HGV2 then did work with that licence whilst booking up for the 7 day course for the articulated stuff HGV1. each time you have to pay n send ur licence off for it to be updated so takes a while.

As Lee said you just hope to find the right kinda driving role, eg: supermarket. general haulage will normally pay fairly shite n be all the crap work too. All we do is a few shop deliveries and trunking between our own depots.

Last week was my lowest wage since May 9th of 593 quid X(

hope this helps

thanks guys thats a lot of help, atm i work for renault as a service advisor and i aint best happy. i love driving and i am planning a trip to paris with the lads, actually we are goign to disney world, lol. Just a couple more questions, which type of hgv driving would be the best payers, would driving for super markets pay well or are there specific types which pay well, I know tanker driving pays well due to the risk involved, To lee and ross, would u say hgv driving is a good job or did u wish u hadnt done it looking back, buy the way im 20 in 2 and a bit weeks so i aint go too long to wait, cheers lads

I wouldnt wanna do anything else mate. (unless it paid much more, I BADLY want to join the Police, but would need to take a 10k a year pay cut, Fcuk that)

I also wouldnt wanna do any other work apart from supermarket (type) work :) :thumb:

I have no regrets :thumb:

I know Petrol Tanker drivers used to be payed well but i heard terrible stories about Hoyer which pull for Esso i think where they had massive wages cuts n stuff. To drive those type of lorries you also need an ADR certificate which is just a desk based test i think where you learn of all the hazards n precautions n that.

Well glad i went through the licences, wouldn't wanna do anything else these days.

:cheers: :cheers:

pretty much summed it up :thumb:

£420 a week aint that bad round here :) for class2. Get ya Class 1 mate, I average between £600 and £750 a week :) and supermarket work is pi$$ easy :)

Thats about right for me too, plus I get about 4 - 5 hours a night sleep..... :thumb:

I know Petrol Tanker drivers used to be payed well but i heard terrible stories about Hoyer which pull for Esso i think where they had massive wages cuts n stuff. To drive those type of lorries you also need an ADR certificate which is just a desk based test i think where you learn of all the hazards n precautions n that.

Well glad i went through the licences, wouldn't wanna do anything else these days.

:cheers:  :cheers:

I used to work for Esso years ago when we we're on about £1200 a week + bonus, then the company I worked for got took over by Excel, so we all left as they halved the wages and doubled the work...... 8o